Monday, April 03, 2006

It Was Too Dark This Morning...

...and I can't blame just the time change.

Due to a handful of strong storms, we lost power around midnight (and I was about 15 minutes into the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy...thankfully it is still on my TiVo). Living out in the country this is not unusual. We still were without power this morning. Had we not had the time change this weekend, I would have woken up on time which would have been 6 am. But alas, it was after 7:00. I desperately needed to take a shower but we have a well...we have only so much water when the power is out. There was no way I was going to work without washing my hair first. And although Shelby had washed her hair last night but we still needed to run the flattening iron over it to remove the frizzies (and it was Frizzy!).

As we were heading out for my mom's house, we had to turn around. There are two ways out to the main road from our house. The shorter route takes you near the elementary school, which is the way we usually go. Just past our house on the shorter route, a large tree had fallen across the road and there was no way around it. I was worried as we were going out the longer way, that there might be other fallen trees. Had there been, we would be forced to go back home. Thankfully that route was clear.

I am beginning to think that we need a generator. Our power tends to at least flicker with every strong storm and it isn't unusual for it to go out for a few hours. The worst was Christmas a few years ago. I woke up in the wee hours to find the power was out. I was so disappointed because it was the first year Shelby was going to wake up at our house. I wanted her to find a pile of presents lit by the Christmas tree when she woke up (the only time we leave the lights on all night is Christmas Eve.) I have to admit now that it was an even more memorable Christmas because we sat around the fireplace (for warmth and light) and opened our presents. The power came back on just as we were getting into the car to go to my aunt's house for breakfast.

You know, every time the power goes out I think back about that Christmas and it is really a good memory.