Tuesday, January 18, 2005

My Guilty Pleasure Begins Tonight...

American Idol Season 4 airs tonight! I admit it is of my biggest "guilty pleasure". I can't really explain why I like it so much. In the last few years, I have followed very few shows with the exception of AI. I used to have certain shows that I watched every night of the week. But then I got married...and then my step-daughter moved in full time....then I had a baby...All of these events changed my TV watching habits. I have lost track what has happened on ER, missed that last few seasons of Friends, skipped the last season of Sex and the City, haven't a clue what has happened to the Fisher's on Six Feet Under. AI is the only one that I watch each and every week. I even ask that my family respect my 1 1/2 hours each week. This is my ME time. Don't ask me to bake cookies, find homework, answer the phone, etc...Just give me my AI ME time. (Of course with the change of format this season, it will be on 3 hours in total some weeks...hmm...I guess its a good thing I now have TiVo!!!)

I'm not sure WHY I really enjoy it. I think its partly watching someone's dream come true. But mostly I think it is the discussions I have after the show with my friends. I have at least 4 that we converse before, after and even during the show. Towards the end of last season I was IMing on friend during each episode and then IMing another just during the commercials (her computer is in a different room than her TV). I rarely call in when the voting begins. Every now and then I'll call in once or twice but that's it. Of course once the show is over I tend to have people wanting, waiting, needing, demanding...

So starting tonight I am getting my ME time back... (don't tell the family that since we have TiVo, technically I could delay ME time, IF I HAD TO...which hopefully I won't, but it's nice to know I have a backup plan just in case).

(and yes, AI was the first thing I programmed my TiVo to record!)