Monday, October 18, 2004

How About Them Sox???

I hadn’t paid much attention to the playoffs since the Braves were knocked out until last night. The Boston Red Sox just keep hanging on. With the Yankees up 3 games to 1, the Sox tied last night’s game in the 9th inning and won it with a walk-off homerun in the 12th. Tonight was just as impressive with them tying it in the 8th and winning the game in the 14th. With 5+ hours of play, this was the longest game in ALCS history and now these boys have to hop on a plane for NY and play again in 21 hours. And Houston just now won their game with a 3 run homerun in the bottom on the 9th.

Both playoff series are turning out to be exciting match-ups, which is killing my husband. He doesn’t care much for sports. I, on the other hand, love watching baseball (Go Braves) and college football (Go Vols). I love the sound of baseball on TV or the radio: the soothing murmur of the announcers, the crack of the bats, the low rumble of the crowd.

I have finally worn my husband down to at least stop on any Braves game he comes across while surfing, at least long enough for me to check the score. But with the playoffs I have kind of taken over the TV. He patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) waits for the game to be over. However the last couple of nights have led to “free baseball” with games going into the 12th and 14th innings. By the time the game is over, he has already gone to bed which gives him very little time to surf or watch yet another episode of Married With Children, Seinfeld or The Simpsons. I should probably call it a night too and try to get some sleep…after all, there’s another ball game starting in less than 21 hours…