Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Little Pickled Bullfrog...

Yesterday when I picked Jed up from school I thought that his face looked a little odd. More specifically his neck. It looked like his glands were swollen. When I touched them, they were like two little ping pong balls. I had to check my own next to make sure his were as abnormal as I thought.

So off to the doctor we went his morning. I dropped Shelby off at school and then started calling the doctor's office. We live 45 minutes away from the doctor (30 minutes from town). I really didn't want to go home and then have to come back for a doctor's appointment. The office was supposed to open at 8:30. At 8:45 the phone was still playing "Our office is closed. Our office hours are 8:30 to 4:00 Monday through Friday...blah blah blah". I hedged my bets and drove to the office. Even though they don't normally do walk-ins, I figured I could at least get in before 11:00 (Jed and I could always get breakfast if we needed to). They were able to see us a little after 9:00.

The diagnosis? Strep. It barely showed up on the culture so we caught it early. Which is good. He is still in a great mood and eating well. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and prevent him from getting worse.

On our way home, we stopped at Hobby Lobby so I could pick up a set of knitting needles (the set I had been using for my lace scarf were too long and heavy). Jed picked out a miniature volcano. The best $1.99 I have ever spent. It is about 2 inches high and is hollow. You put a tsp of baking soda inside the volcano and then pour vinegar into the top hole. Instant faux lava (or as Jed says "waba"). We have gone through 1/2 cup of baking soda and an entire quart of vinegar. But he has been entertained for 2 hours in total (with a dinner break in the middle). He has now progressed to playing with just the vinegar, two bowls and an old medicine dropper. I need to go find him another activity because if he plays in that vinegar any longer, I fear he will turn into a little pickle.