Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Grumpy Toddlers and Grumpy Old Professors....

...do NOT mix!!!

During the summer and fall semesters I teach an evening class at the university. Last night was the last meeting where I pick up their final assignments. It is also finals week. I decided to bring Shelby and Jed along since we wouldn't be there more than 15 minutes.

I should have known when we stopped for dinner that this wasn't going to be one of my smarter moves. At dinner, Jed kept hollering in his new shrill mucho annoying voice and wouldn't eat at first. Finally after giving him a plastic fork and his own plate, he settled down just enough for us to eat. Then we went to class.

My classroom is at the end of the hall with 4 other rooms. The two across the hall were empty so I assumed the one next door was too. Students were stopping by intermittently to drop off their papers. During this time Jed ran out into the hall hollering twice and Shelby kindly fetched him. The third time, I followed and watched as he went to the classroom door next door, which was closed....because the room was full....full of students taking a final. While hollering, he flung himself against the door. This was the first moment I realized there was a final going on next door. I quickly grabbed Jed (who, of course, protested loudly the entire time) and whisked him back into my room. He then started to run around the room. Well within 30 seconds of getting back to our room, the irate grumpy old professor (IGOP) comes stomping in to the room. I can't remember exactly what he said but this is the gist:

IGOP: HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO TAKE A FINAL EXAM WITH ALL THIS NOISE AND DISRUPTION

Me: I am sorry, I didn't reali...

IGOP: (interrupting) YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW!!

Me: I'm just meeting with students and picking up papers. I'll be....

IGOP: (interrupting) MY STUDENTS CANNOT CONCENTRATE ON THEIR FINALS WITH ALL THIS NOISE!!!

Me: (getting angry and talking through clenched teeth) I Will Be Finished In Less Than Five Minutes. I Am Almost Fini.....

IGOP: (stomping back to his room) YOU SHOULD'VE AT LEAST PUT A SIGN UP ON THE DOOR AND SAT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!

Followed by the slamming of his door.

Shelby's first comment was "I AM NOT going to college here!!!". I asked her why and her reply was "I DO NOT want him as a professor!!"

Okay so finals are going and I should have realized sooner that there was a class in session next door. I will take that responsibility HOWEVER that does not give Mr. IGOP the right to talk to me so rudely in addition to interrupting just about everything I said. He should have come over and asked POLITELY asked if we could keep it down because his class is in the middle of a final exam. At that point, I would have had Shelby immediately take Jed outside.

After the door slam, I took Jed into the stairwell for about 5 minutes while Shelby stayed in the classroom in case any more students stopped by. Then she and Jed went outside while I sat in the classroom for another couple minutes after which we left. We were there no more than 15 minutes.

24 hours later and it still angers me. Stupid grumpy old professors!!!!