Friday, October 29, 2004

And Then There Was One...

...Paycheck. My husband is scheduled for ACL reconstruction surgery in a couple of weeks after which he will be out of work at least 3 months, more likely 4 and possibly up to 6 months. During that time we will be living off of my paycheck alone. Thankfully over the next couple of months I will be receiving my pay for teaching an evening class as well as my yearly bonus check. And income tax refund time is just around corner. Our gas expenses will decrease immensely with him not driving to work every day (he spends about $80 a week on gas just to get to work...of course he also insists on going to one certain gas stations whose prices are always 5-9 cents more than other places, but that's another rant for another time). I feel confident that we will get by just fine and still be able to do Christmas in a decent fashion (i.e. not having to purchase all gifts at the local Dollar Store). And although there may not be a "new-to-us" four-wheeler or an ipod (which are on the wishlists) we'll do just fine.

As for the surgery itself, I am pretty comfortable with it as is my husband. He will be receiving allograft tendon (donor tissue) as well as having some repair work done to the meniscus.My mom offered to take the day off and sit with me during the surgery to keep my mind off of it but honestly I am not nervous about it...its not like it is brain or heart surgery.


I have been reading about the procedure on the web. I'm one that cannot handle watching those surgery TV shows. So when I came across a site with pictures of the procedure being done, I had to quickly close the browser. We are not talking drawings here, but actual photos. If you are interested (and are not easily grossed out), click here, but if you are any bit squeamish I would advise skipping it and check out WebMD instead which provides a good description of the procedure (without gross pictures).

Since he is going to be out of commission for awhile, I am going to make sure, between now and the surgery, that he is the one getting Jed when he wakes up in the middle of the night.