Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Frogs, Snails and Puppy dog tails...

...don't forget the worms!

This weekend Jed and I replanted the lilac bush. It is about 3 years old and just isn't growing fast enough. So after digging it up, Jed and I set to the task of making the hole bigger so that we could enrich the clay soil with compost. I am looking forward to the day that I can step out on the front porch and be enveloped with the sweet scent of lilac. Here is my poor replanted lilac.



Jed's job was to cart away in his big dump truck all the rocks and slate we found. He was also on a mission to find every single worm in that hole. I think we found at least 30. Now if my lilac dies, it will be due to lack of worm aeration. Here is our fantastic worm farm. (I tried to get him to catch and release but he just wouldn't go for it.)



The cold temperatures from the last couple of weeks have taken a toll on my strawberries (even though I tucked them into the garage during the worst of it). I need to go find a few more plants to replace the ones that didn't make it. You can (barely) see the one on the bottom is doing far better than the one on the top. I think the one on the top has maybe 2 plants still alive.






The pansies however weathered the cold snap wonderfully. Every time I tried to get a picture of the pansies, Jed managed to get in the frame somehow. I finally gave up.






And I ask you, how can you stay mad at a face like that???