Wednesday, November 10, 2004

I Love LA TV ...

...because you never know when they will break in with news coverage of a police chase. One just broke in that had been going on for over 40 minutes. A young girl was driving through the streets of San Gabriel followed a short distance by two police cars. She came upon a red light, halting her progress so she tapped the SUV in front of her...what a mistake. The SUV did NOT get out of the way which in turn blocked the girl in. She is now in police custody.

Over the weekend the LA station broke in to show the "daring" rescue of a dog that had fallen into a canal that ran along some country club. They actually had two helicopters out there, one of which dropped a rescuer down who was eventually able to get a harness on the dog. The helicopter then pulled the rescuer and dog to safety.

You may wonder why I am getting California stations even though I live in Tennessee. We live out in the country...Too far to be able to get cable. So we have satellite and at the time we set up the service, local channels were not available in this area. We live too close to the city to get ABC and CBS because theoretically we should be able to pick them both up on antenna...but it would be like watching TV in a blizzard. However theoretically we live too far out to be able to pick up FOX or NBC so the satellite company allows us to get both the NY and CA feeds of both of these stations. This is so cool in that if I miss something "Must See" on east coast time, I can wait 3 hours and watch it along with the rest of the West Coasters.

DirecTv has since started providing access to local channels however it would mean that we would need to purchase both a new dish AND at least one new receiver. I haven't jumped on upgrading, one reason being I don't want to lose my double Fox and NBC stations. However with all this talk of desperate Housewives, I may need to break down and upgrade so that I can get CBS. Since I will probably lose my double dose of NBC and Fox I may have to also invest in TiVo. Maybe Santa will set me up with both TiVo and local channels for Christmas....