Saturday, October 23, 2004

Gonna Smack the Next Smacker...

There are a couple of things that annoy me to no end, the biggest one is smacking. I cannot stand the sound of someone smacking their gum or their food. Day before yesterday, I was sitting in the waiting room while my husband was getting an MRI of his knee. There was a man sitting a few seats down from me waiting on his wife. He had gotten a piece of candy from the receptionist desk. It must have been hard candy because every 5 seconds he would make a sucking, smacking sound. I literally had one hand over an ear to mute the sound. It got so bad that I had to walk outside for a minute. Thankfully when I returned he had finished his candy and had moved to the other side of the waiting room where if he had another piece I couldn't hear him over the another man who was loudly telling everyone about that day's happening on the Jerry Springer show.

My sister-in-law is the worst. I cannot stand to be around when she eats (oh yay, Thanksgiving is around the corner). Not only does she smack her food but she is talks with her mouth full. Now granted it is rude to talk with food in your mouth however in causal settings most of us have been known to say something mid-chew and I would venture a guess that most of us have been able to do this discreetly where your food is hardly visible. Not my sister-in-law. Mouth wide open, food fully visible, smacking very loud. I never offer her gum when she is in my car. EVER! Her kids aren't much quieter however if they are smacking gum in my car (or house) I can tell them to throw it out if they continue smacking.

I think this is why I hate the sound of someone stirring macaroni and cheese...it sounds a lot like smacking. Hell for me would be people constantly stirring macaroni and cheese and smacking gum in my ear...I shudder at the thought...