Tuesday, September 21, 2004

They Are My Damn Teeth...

A couple of months ago, my Palm Pilot died. I pushed this button and that button trying to get it to turn on but all I had was a black screen. When I finally got it turned on (all of 5 minutes I found out that in the button pushing process I had wiped the entire thing clean. Had I backed it up lately? Of course not. So all my appointments, phone numbers were gone. *POOF* (Apparently I need a new battery since the old one is no longer holding a charge. I just haven’t had the heart to order a new battery after losing everything.)

At 1:23 this afternoon I check my voicemail at work to find that I was supposed to be at the dentist for my 6 month cleaning at 1:00. In addition, my stepdaughter had one scheduled for 2:00. So I called the dentist to let them know we wouldn’t be there. The receptionist that answered sounded very put out that we were a no-show and a cancellation. It didn’t help matters when I told her I couldn’t make it by 2:00 due to a work appointment scheduled for 3:00.

Then we move on to rescheduling. She offers me 2 appointment slots in November and then informs me that Margo (my regular dental hygienist) would not be there since she will be on vacation, that a substitute would be filling in. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like going to strange dentists, doctors or dental hygienists. I go to the people I usually see because I know they are good at their job (i.e. they are gentle and kind and cause very little pain). So I told her I would prefer to find something that at a later date would fit in Margo’s schedule. “Well her first available times are not until well into the beginning of the year,” came out heavily over the phone. She just sat there in silence, waiting on me to say “Oh never mind, the substitute would be just fine.” I asked what was Margo’s earliest opening. February 3rd. So February 3rd it will be.

The receptionist really wasn’t happy when I got off the phone. She didn’t like the fact that I (unknowingly) stood them up today. She didn’t like the fact I was unwilling to see the “substitute”. She didn’t like the fact I am willing to wait until February to get my teeth clean. But you know what? I don’t care…They are my damn teeth…